Tuesday, April 22, 2014

First attempt at making sourdough starter

Grandma believed that if I left the milk out of the starter that it wouldn't ferment correctly.  So I combined two recipes together.  Essentially, the ingredients from Amish Friendship Bread (milk, sugar, flour etc.), but fed & used as though it is standard sourdough.  Only real difference being that in the mornings I feed it with milk & flour, in the evenings I feed it with water & flour. I put it in the pottery crock I helped glaze at Ken's most recent firing.  The crock turned out really well, and in my opinion so did the starter.  This is the result:




 I thought I had better put some sort of a note on the crock to help me remember when I started it etc. so that's the piece of paper.




By day 3, the crock overflowed, and I decided that early or not, (it was supposed to ferment for 5-days) that it's time to use some of it, so today is bread making day.  Ended up making 4 loaves, which are baking as I type, and hopefully they turn out alright.  I had used half whole wheat & half white bread flour.  It wasn't raising quite like the all white flour bread of last week, but I think it should still work out alright.


No comments:

Post a Comment