Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Sourdough bread: First, second & third attempts

After attempting to make the Rustic Sourdough Bread from King Arthur Flour, the first attempt succeeded.  I used all of the same type of flour from Seal of Minnesota, and it turned out great, other than I needed to bake the larger of the two loaves longer than the other, and didn't realize it until later.

Because it turned out good, I assumed if I added some whole wheat flour, that it would result in a similar, if not the same, result.  I was wrong. 

The loaves were short, hard & salty.  The bread that resulted was such an epic fail that I'm nearly ready to throw in the towel over making homemade whole wheat bread.  Devon, being wonderful like he is, said he would eat them anyway, but I told him it wasn't necessary if he didn't want to eat them I'm not going to make him.  But I'm very frustrated to say the least.

Mom has decided to try her hand at it.  She's made a batch of sourdough pizza dough, and another batch of sourdough bread.  From the looks of it, it seems to be too heavy in whole wheat again, but we'll see how it turns out.  When I'm looking at her bowls though, neither of them are raising correctly.  Granted, the temperatures in this house are on the cooler side today, but my sourdough starter is still working away... so I'm not sure why the bread dough is being so testy.

Bread is such temperamental stuff...

No comments:

Post a Comment